The Lake Country Amateur Radio Service (LCARS) consists of interested amateur radio (Ham Radio) operators from the Virginia and North Carolina counties that surround Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston. Our members have a variety of interests and backgrounds, bringing rich and varied experiences to the club membership.
As our club logo depicts, LCARS is a Public Service Radio Club. Our goal is the increase ham radio awareness and activity in the Lake Country area by:
- Promoting Amateur Radio
- Providing Training Classes and Testing Sessions
- Experienced Elmers to Mentor New Ham Radio Operators
- Experimenting With Radios, Antennas, Computers and Software Packages to Investigate New Methods, Modes and Capabilities
- Providing Free Public Service Communications Support For:
- Special events in our local communities
- Local and regional emergencies
- SKYWARN storm spotting during severe weather
If you are new to amateur radio, we invite you to come join us for a meeting and meet some of our members. If you are not a ham radio operator, but have an interest in communications (such as CB, FRS/GMRS, Short Wave Listening, etc.), public service, or you would like to learn or experience something new, then LCARS is for you. Our members have many years of years of experience and are willing to share their talents and knowledge gained from their past experiences. Every member is happy to help you with your radio hobby, no matter what type it is.
Finally, LCARS is currently in the process of increasing our emergency public response resources and capabilities that we can offer our local communities. Understandably, the more people we have involved, the greater amount of resources we will have to offer. As concerned citizens, we want to do whatever we can to aide our local communities if a disaster strikes. Radio waves have no boundaries, and amateur radio operators validate this principle many times each year, helping others no matter if they are across town or halfway around the world.